How do people on a conscious spiritual path embrace our spiritual power in a time of great fear and divisiveness?
What is the middle way, between falling victim to fear on the one hand, and spiritual bypassing on the other?
Here are two perspectives from wise American teachers:
- Marianne Williamson, author of Return to Love and Healing the Soul of America (1998), speaks on wise engagement as citizens in a democracy, from the point of view of A Course in Miracles, here. This talk includes a challenge for New Thought people to take a hard look at the temptation to avoid difficult topics by judging them as “negative.” She says now is an opportunity for “girls to become women and boys to become men” in our spiritual lives. (video)
- Tara Brach, spiritual director at the Insight Meditation Center in Washington, DC, suggests how we can “Play a Greater Part,” in a post-retreat talk here. (audio)
Continue reading Embodying Higher Consciousness in Turbulent Times
“There is a river flowing now very fast.
It is so great and swift that there are those
who will be afraid.
They will try to hold on to the shore.
They will feel they are torn apart, and will suffer greatly.”
~An unnamed Hopi elder
“With all your science can you tell how it is,
and whence it is,
that light comes into the soul?”
~ Henry David Thoreau
At the Interfaith Center we receive many wisdom teachings to help us through the inevitable losses in life. But sometimes, the river of change feels like a torrent. Then, despite all we have known in steadier times, we can be hard pressed to let go and allow the river to carry us. Continue reading Feeling the Presence of Spirit in Times of Loss
With both daytime and evening options (1 pm and 7 pm Wednesdays), Senior Minister Dave Bell’s new Metaphysics class is underway. Here are the questions the class explores, plus a Metaphysics Reading List Dave developed from his personal library. The class runs 8 weeks and tuition is $35 for the entire class. Email email@example.com if you have questions 🙂
- What is Metaphysics?
- The Nature of the Divine
- The Nature of Creation
- What is Reality?
- Does Evil Exist?
- Are there Unforgivable Sins?
- What is a Soul?
- What is Consciousness?
- What is the Role of Scripture?
- What is the Role of Compassion and Forgiveness?
- The Three Phases of Mind
- Prayer and Meditation
- Does Reincarnation Occur?
- The Near Death Experience
- What is Mysticism?
Books by Dr. David Hawkins Continue reading Metaphysics Class Tackles “Life’s Persistent Questions”
How can we deal with devastating disappointments without losing faith?
Yesterday, Associate Minister Annie Kopko shared how she was able to reframe a crippling childhood pattern to transform the pain and insecurity it spawned.
“At any moment, you can change your perspective,” she told us. But how?
The video below teaches us with inspired and uplifting examples. Reframing pain and disappointment is a characteristic of resilient people. This capacity honors our experience while reconnecting us to our innate divinity and restoring trust in the Creation.
Enjoy this profoundly uplifiting TED Talk by Andrew Solomon on “meaning making.” Then let us know what you think in the comment section.
In April, our own Marlon Dunlap gave this wise and uplifting Sunday message. No matter what the circumstances — even homelessness — we can wake up to our true nature. Check it out.